Your home is a sacred and special place. It is a place where you come home after a long day’s work to relax, spend time with your family and friends, cook meals, and a space where you feel safe. With home security systems becoming very advanced, you can ensure peace of mind; but garages are often overlooked. If you don’t protect your garage like the rest of your home, it is a security breach. Therefore, it is very important to make sure your home is always secure, and here are some helpful tips on how to secure your garage.
- Make sure doors are locked – Keeping your doors locked refers to locking the pedestrian door from your garage that leads into your house, but it also refers to making sure your garage door is fully closed every time it closes. Double-check if it is a manual garage door to ensure the manual lock is engaged. If it is an automatic garage door, be sure to watch the garage door close to the full closed position and seal tightly on the ground. The garage door opener is what keeps it in the locked position.
- Upgrade your old garage door opener – Upgrading your old garage door opener to a new, updated unit can be one of the simplest ways to increase your home’s security. All new residential garage door openers sold by Candoor Overhead doors have the latest industry-leading technology. All new garage door openers have WIFI capabilities, phone app control to make them a perfect home security system. At Candoor, we exclusively supply liftmaster garage door openers that are complete with multiple security features; timer to close feature, multi-code programming, one-time code programing for deliveries, app notifications, app monitoring to let you know when the garage door is opened or closed, and the ability to use the app to open and close the garage door remotely.
- Don’t leave the garage door open for long periods of time – One of the biggest security breaches is leaving your garage door open and forgetting about it. Therefore, try to make it a routine for yourself to close the garage door when you are done using it. This will allow the residential garage door opener to keep the door closed and locked. By upgrading to a new Liftmaster garage door opener, you can use the timer to close the feature to close and prevent this error from happening automatically.
- Cover your windows or have coated windows to reduce visibility – Covering your garage door windows or having windows with a coating will reduce visibility into the garage, increasing security. New residential garage doors can come in multiple window finishes to minimize visibility, like tinted, frosted, obscure, glue chipped, and more!
- Don’t give out code to random people – Don’t give your code out to neighbors, delivery personnel, contractors, etc. By installing new liftmaster garage door openers, you can give one-time users a single code that would then be erased after its usage.
- Improve exterior lights – Improving exterior lighting around your house will increase security by making your house more visible. It would prevent unwanted visitors from approaching due to the increased visibility of your premises.
- Install cameras – Install cameras to monitor your premises. With our garage door openers, nest cameras are available to monitor inside the garage and outside. The nest camera system connects directly to the Liftmaster phone app to monitor all devices in the same place!
- Don’t leave valuables in the garage or lock them up – Try to avoid leaving valuables in the garage to prevent the temptation of potential intruders. If some valuables, like tools, must be left in the garage, keep them under lock and key, so they remain safe and out of sight.
- Lock cars parked inside your garage – When parking your car in the garage, keep it locked. Even though your car is safe within the garage, it is important to keep vehicle doors locked as an extra safety measure.
Call us at 1 (866) 341-3253 or contact us online for more information about our residential garage doors, garage door security, garage door lock, residential garage door openers, and roll-up garage doors today!